Guidelines for destructive meteorites requests at MGMH
- Meteorites requests will be subject to a review cycle at the beginning of every semester in the Fall (last business day of September) and Spring (last business day of February).
- The remaining mass of the requested meteorite other than small rare meteorites after allocation must be at least 2/3 of the original mass.
- The mass of small rare meteorites (less than 50 grams) after allocation must be at least 80% of the original mass. Rare meteorites are defined as meteorites other than type 4-6 ordinary chondrites, including rare type portions of large meteorites.
- Allocations of any rare meteorite will generally be limited to samples less than 1 gram and less than 3 grams for other meteorites.
- Requests without producing a full-length publication within two years will be reviewed by the museum committee at the review cycle prior to any more material allocation.
- Any small meteorite (less than 5 grams) will not be, in general, loaned out.
- Requests will be allocated to only one lab per institution.
- Requests are limited to no more than 10 samples per request/review cycle.
- Requests are limited to 10 grams per allocation, and 20 grams in total per requestor.
- Promptly upon completion of the proposed research, unused or remaining meteorite samples must be returned to MGMH